Saturday, August 31, 2013

Thank You, Karma.

Happy Labor Day Weekend, everyone!  I have a couple exciting things to share.  Yesterday, I called the principal of the elementary school that is right down the street from me and set up my substitute teacher interview.  It will be on Tuesday!  Eeek!  Also, Sam has the long weekend off from work, which is great, because up until now I was wondering if I would be going to my mom's cousin's wedding on Sunday without my date. 

I am really excited about my interview on Tuesday!  I hope it will go well.  I know I am very overqualified for a substitute teacher position, but I don't want to be one of those people that assumes they will automatically be accepted and then screw everything up.  I actually am a little nervous about it, so I've been practing.  Haha!

On another note, yesterday Sam and I were randomly discussing acupuncture, when a memory from long ago was sparked that I want to tell you about.  Suddenly, I remembered my 6th grade health project on acupuncture that I worked on with two other girls, one of whom was extremely bossy and bitchy.  This girl, A, chose our topic, which I had never even heard of at the time.  She also chose exactly which parts of the project she would be responsible for, and delegated the rest out to the other student and I, without letting us have any say.  Unfortunately, when I was twelve, I didn't have the confidence to speak up for myself, which ended up really backfiring on me.  Of course, being the good little student I was, I completed all parts of the project that were assigned to me, typing each piece up.  Well, A wasn't happy with the font or font size I chose.  She sent me home to redo my portion so it would match hers, which of course I did as well.  

On the day it was due, I brought everything in, and the A pulled me out in the hall with our other group member.  I'll never forget this moment.  She told me she would be telling our health teacher I did not participate as much as she or the other student did, so she would suggest I get a lesser grade than they would receive.  I was shocked and incredibly hurt she not only felt this way, but was going to tell my teacher a complete fabrication.  I couldn't get over the other student didn't speak up for me at all, especially when I thought we were friends. Kids can be so cruel.  

I was in a complete state of panic.   I had never been in trouble before.  I thought I was going to throw up.  Our teacher joined us in the hallway and A explained her side of the story.  Every time I tried to defend myself, A would interrupt.  I couldn't get a word in.  By this  point I was sobbing.  Eventually, I think our teacher was tired of hearing A's sob story, so she finally just said she understood and would keep this situation in mind while grading our project.  After the other girls went back into the classroom, the teacher looked at me, kind of pitifully, and told me I could go calm down in the bathroom. 

A couple weeks later, we each received our individual grades on our group project.  My heart was racing, as I imagined the C or D or F  I was about to receive!  To my surprise, though, I received an A.  Maybe even a perfect score.  I was incredibly relieved, but left wondering if my teacher made a mistake.  I hid my grade from  A, because I thought she might be angry. Later, I found out A only received a B on the project. With complete satisfaction, I went home and told my parents (who had already heard all the details about A's lie) my final grade. 

And the one word moral of the story is:


Looking back at this now from a teacher's perspective, I can see our health teacher tried to appease A, but must have seen through her the entire time.  Oh how teachers always know.  Thank you, Karma.

XO <3, C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!