Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Puzzling Main Idea

Hey Fellow Teachers!

I'm dropping in to show you my newest creation.  I so would like to write about the really fun weekend I had, but I am just absolutely exhausted.  Not only have I been working on this creation for weeks, but I just spent hours adding the final touches!  I'm ready to be d-o-n-e.


 Here it is...The Puzzling Main Idea! Hooray!

I first mentioned it to you a few weeks ago when it was in a very rough state.  I feel great about the way it turned out!

This first activity involves reading The Important Book, by Margaret Wise Brown, and then creating a "Classroom Important Book".  The Important Book is a fabulous and most basic intro to the concept of main idea.

Three of the activities included are puzzle themed, as puzzle pieces are compared to details and a puzzle that has been solved or put together is compared to the main idea.  I love when reading skills and strategies can be made concrete and hands-on!


One of my favorite activities is called "Main Idea Mystery Bags".  Several "Mystery Bags" are put together, each with their own set of cards.  Students must solve the "Mystery Main Idea" of each bag.  

All-in-all, there are five activities, made to be implemented in order since they build upon one another.  In the last activity, students must use their new knowledge of main idea and apply it to a text.

I hope some of you will find this useful in your classroom.  You can check it out here.

As always, thank you for reading!

I can't wait to write again with details about my weekend once I muster up some energy.

XO <3, C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!