Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fishin' for a Compound Sentence

Hey everyone! 

Happy-Almost-Friday!  I'm excited for my long weekend plans ahead, and can't wait to share them with you soon!

Tonight I'd like to share a product with you I originally created one year ago, last October, waaaaaay before I ever thought  of TpT.  I was visiting Sam one weekend while he was working in Groton, and I had plenty of time on my hands since he had to head into work for a bit on Saturday morning.  I used my spare time to plan for school, and because I was oh so inspired by all of the beautiful lessons and activities I was constantly seeing on Pinterest, I decided to get creative.  Although I didn't know it at the time, I was creating my first TpT product, "Gone Fishin' For a Compound Sentence".

Now, after a bit of experience with the whole TpT thing, I decided to give my creation a face lift...and, well...I think it looks quite cute!  I used it with my 3rd graders last fall, and it was a very big hit!  It encouraged a lot of participation, even from a certain someone who normally refused to involve himself in learning.  Students were engaged, excited, and remembered how to "hook" two sentences together. 

Here is a little peak...


 In this activity, students are given 10 sets of green sentence cards and many pink conjunction cards.  They must first find sentence cards that make sense together, and then use a pink conjunction card to "hook" them into a compound sentence.  A fishing hook is used as a metaphor for a comma in this activity, helping students to remember how to write a compound sentence correctly.  This hands-on activity is perfect for introducing the concept of compound sentences or for review/assessment. 
It includes a goal (objectives) poster as well as a poster on compound sentences and conjunctions.


This activity also includes a double sided sheet, so students can record the compound sentences they create with the cards, as well as complete a more challenging illustration assignment on the back. 

I hope your students will find it as exciting as mine did! You can find it here if you're interested. :-)

See you soon!

XO <3,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!